We at The Small World USA firmly believe in taking action that will have real, tangible and positive impacts in the lives of the people we work with. As such, we believe in following current research regarding the impact of educating girls and women, running community-driven projects and initiatives to help local communities, and ways to support sustainable mountain development in the Himalayan regions where we work.
Please enjoy these resources to learn more about the science behind the work we do. And if you have a study to share with us, please do so by emailing Sally at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn
- Gender Equality as a Key Strategy for Achieving Equitable and Sustainable Development in Mountains: The Case of the Hindu Kush–Himalayas
- A Gender Approach to Sustainable Rural Development of Mountains
- Empowering women through education: Experiences from Dalit women in Nepal by Nerine Guinee
- Menstruation and Education in Nepal
- Achieving Universal Primary Education in Mountains
- United Nations information on Gender Equality
- United Nations information on Education
- Information on Gender from the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development
- 2018 Statistics on Nepal from UNICEF
- Information on Nepal from UNESCO
- Scaling the Mountain: Women, Health and the Environment in Nepal
- Social Gains from Female Education – a World Bank Discussion Paper
- Does prohibiting child labor increase secondary school enrollment? Insights from a new global dataset
- Education for Development in Northern Pakistan: Opportunities and Constraints for Rural Households
- Mountain Research and Development – a great journal for research in the field
- Full Force: Why the World Works Better When Girls Go to School – a report by the Malala Fund
- Missed Opportunities: The High Cost of Not Educating Girls – a 2018 report by the World Bank. This link provides access to a fact sheet, as well as the full report.